The calm before the storm

blog Matured Woman With Eyes Wide Open

It’s a warm, sunny morning. According to the weather maps, we’re in for Hurricane Matthew. We will pull the storm shutters and hunker down in place. Our poured concrete house should be able to stand whatever comes along. We may be without electricity for a few days. We learned to handle that after Hurricane Wilma eleven years ago, which hit three weeks after we arrived in FL. We have that great new roof that is guaranteed for years. It would be a gift if the storm veers east and doesn’t cause too much damage..

I’ve just enough energy to do important things that need a day or two of recovery. The last two nights, I conked out early in the evening. One night, I was at my computer, hand on mouse, head on chest and Nick had a hard time rousing me. My insides feel weary. If we get this storm, I will sleep with the birds. From dusk to dawn. No electricity can be a lovely thing. The water stays warm enough to shower. Good time to snooze.

I’m sticking with the protocol but not really seeing the great benefits. Certainly not like that new person I was when I first started. I remind myself it’s a process. Like the old saying, when she was good, she was very, very good. And when she was bad, she went to bed. Slight variation on the theme.

The fungus on my feet is improving but not gone. I’m not as conscientious as I was three weeks ago. I’m giving my body the chance to heal itself. I’ve become a tea drinker as the warm water goes down much more smoothly. It’s just past 8:30 a.m. and I’ve already had a liter and a half.

I scheduled the six month blood and urine tests for the end of this week and that may not be possible. Have to remember I have no control so no anxiety. I did have family stress for a month and that, too, has resolved. I’m almost looking forward to the storm. As long as it doesn’t land right here. It’s exciting to me and my body. The pressure changes of the storm will definitely affect me. I just don’t know how. I have done many things in the past week and I am pooped.

My hands and feet are dry. I have a small slash-like slice on my palm. Lotion for two or three days took care of it. I’m not good at lubricating myself. It makes me hot. If I put it on feet, I need to walk around barefoot or in socks which triggers the peripheral neuropathy. What doesn’t kill you, can wait in my book.

The MS hug is finally letting go and I’m cutting back on the Klonopin. My prescription is for 2 mg/day. I usually get by on 1-1/2 with less sedation. I’ve been up at two for weeks and yesterday when for the first time in a long time I could not feel my ribs, I started the trek back to 1-1/2. So far, so good. Again, the gabapentin I take is always within the prescription and typically I make it on less.

I refocused and lost the depression. We’re moving! I’ll tell you about it in the next post. Very exciting!

Have to get back to storm preparation.

Scratch that. Nap time.

This post was written by , posted on October 4, 2016 Tuesday at 1:27 pm
  • Amy Bovaird says:

    Hi Kate,
    Praying for you each and every day.. Praying for the fissures and fungus to heal. Thanks for the update.Glad you are keeping hydrated. Really happy the family stress is resolved.
    Love you,
    Amy xx

    • Kate says:

      Thanks, Amy. We need your prayers for this Hurricane!! It’s too late to leave but it’s going to be rough.
      Love you,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *